Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Don't Panic

I'm afraid for the last five days, I went a little off the map. I would sleep thirteen hours (or twelve or fifteen, I can't tell the correct time in here) and then wander the house. I wouldn't shower or shave or sometimes even dress myself (it helps that there is a distinct lack of mirrors here - there's only the one in the bathroom). I found books I hadn't read in ten years. I found hordes of snackfoods in the larder (all with expiration dates sometime in the next decade, so maybe I won't be in here forever).

Then I found a phone. My mind screamed in joy, until I picked up the phone and found there was no dial tone. There was no cord - it was attached directly to the wall and, as hard as I tried, I couldn't pull it out. The reason I hadn't seen it before? Was because it was in a small recess in one of the many cabinets in the kitchen. Hidden in the dark.

The phone didn't even have anything to dial. No numbers. As for as I could tell, it was only for incoming calls, but since there was no dial tone, it wasn't even hooked up properly.

I went back to sleep. I woke up. I read. I ripped up a book I hadn't seen since middle school, just so I wouldn't feel powerless. I went back to sleep.

When I woke up yesterday, I heard someone typing on the computer. Still groggy from my sleep binge, I didn't register it until it stopped. Then I rushed out to find...nothing. My computer was on, yes, but I had left it on. I hadn't touched it in four days.

Maybe I was finally hallucinating. Maybe someone else was here with me. But how could they hide? Was there some secret room? Or maybe it was part of the dream I was having and it just bled into my mind as I woke up.

The dream was weird. I was wandering on a dark and foggy plain. There were people all around me, but they were indistinct, immaterial. I couldn't see any faces. I couldn't make out any colors, either. Just endless shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment