Friday, May 13, 2011

Reading

So, I'm currently reading The City on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson. There's a slight problem, though:

William Hope Hodgson is a terrible writer. Everything is written in a pseudo-17th century style, complete with purple prose. Every time something exciting happens, it's great, but between the exciting moments are moments of long, rambling sentences and boring paragraphs. I don't care about physical fitness, William Hope Hodgson, I care about the freaking "Doorways in the Night" you were just describing.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that. Turns out The City on the Borderland has a bit more relevance to my situation that you would think. It seems to be a sequel not only The House on the Borderland but also to another Hodgson book called The Night Land. It's some sort of weird crossover where the protagonist goes through a Doorway and finds himself in a strange city that turns out to be alive.


Unfortunately, it's hard to slog through all the purple prose, but I will valiantly give it my best.

No more visits from the Shadowmen. I think once was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment